<<Biblioteca Digital del Portal<<La Educación<<La Educación (129-131) I-III, 1998<<Actividades del PREDE
Colección: La Educación
Número: (129-131) I,III
6. Strategies of Bilingual and Intercultural Education for Peace, Citizenship and Sustainability
Support ministerial, scholastic and academic institutions and research centers working in the fields of education and citizenship, education and multicultural societies, and education and sustainability, in order to develop comparative studies within a hemispheric framework. Promote collaboration among institutions, and specifically among schools, already working in these fields, through joint projects and information exchange.
- Promote the inclusion of modules or specific instructional programs on citizenship, values or character education, health and family life education, peace, conflict resolution, environmental education in the curricula of primary and secondary schools.
- Accelerate the formulation of strategies and educational materials that incorporate a gender perspective into basic indigenous and non-indigenous education;
- Promote the involvement of parents and the community in the teaching/learning process, giving special attention to the peaceful resolution of conflicts in school and the strengthening of organizations representing bilingual populations.
- Promote comparative studies and research concerning the relation between educational levels and democratic behaviors, and concerning the evolution of citizens rights and obligations in the Hemisphere. Special importance shall be assigned to the rights of the most vulnerable populations, both indigenous and non-indigenous, which suffer from a socially disadvantaged position and need access to an education that is sensitive to their values and sociocultural uniqueness.
- Support research related to the present or potential inclusion of environmental issues in formal school curricula at the primary and secondary levels.
- Contribute to initiatives designed to improve teacher training programs in matters related to citizens´ rights to the use of natural resources and responsibilities for the sustainability of the natural environment.
- Support the development and implementation, where instructional programs already exist or are in use of curricula at both primary and secondary levels in the following areas: values and character education, environmental education, peace, citizenship, health and family life education and peaceful conflict resolution.
- Support the development of instructional materials related to the above-mentioned curriculum areas.
- Support teacher training programs and courses to equip teachers to deliver instruction in these areas.
- Promote exchanges for the teaching of the official languages of the Organization.
- Support the formulation of regional action plans to remove language barriers in the Hemisphere through teacher training, strengthened capability in interpretation and translation services and exchanges of teachers to promote the learning of the official languages of the OAS.
Multilateral Project: Exchange of Teachers and Students for Study of the OAS Official Languages
[INDEX] [BACKGROUND] [CONCEPTUAL FRAMEWORK] [OBJECTIVES] [MECHANISMS FOR ACTION] [LINES OF ACTION] [1. COMPENSATORY INTERSECTORAL POLICIES FOR VULNERABLE POPULATIONS] [2. EVALUATION OF EDUCATIONAL SYSTEMS] [3. PRESTIGE, PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND INCENTIVES FOR TEACHERS AND EDUCATIONAL ADMINISTRATORS] [4. STRENGTHENING EDUCATIONAL MANAGEMENT AND ADMINISTRATION AND INSTITUTIONAL DEVELOPMENT] [5. STRENGTHEN TRAINING AND INSTRUCTION FOR THE WORLD OF WORK] [6. STRATEGIES OF BILINGUAL AND INTERCULTURAL EDUCATION FOR PEACE, CITIZENSHIP AND SUSTAINABILITY] [7. INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY APPLIED TO EDUCATION] [ACTIONS OF THE GENERAL SECRETARIAT] [FINANCING] [TRANSITIONAL MEASURES]